Saturday, September 26, 2009

Fear of Heights?



This weekend I left work early and we headed south a few hours to a fire tower in Sequoia National Park (I think it was called the "Needles" fire tower). We spent Friday night in Porterville which looks a bit like a drug dealer's haven and spent Saturday hiking about five miles up and down dust and rock to and from a pretty sweet fire tower. However, I have yet another occupation to cross off of the list of possibilities: fire tower watchman. These people have to be in their little towers which are perched pretty precariously very high in the air every day from 9am-6pm which means that they either have to hike in and out every day - which would invariably include at least an hour of driving on the twisty roads to get to the nearest town, or they have to stay in their little huts all week long. How on earth do these people amuse themselves?!!

We were lucky to have chosen the day we did as the lady who lives up there was leaving that day - apparently budget cuts have mandated that there be no more fire watchmen even though fire hazard is "very high" according to Smokey the bear. While we were hiking up a helicopter came and went carrying off her "honey pot", which is not at all what it sounds like. We were very glad not to be blown off of the mountain when the copter took off.

The best news of the weekend is perhaps that I've gone to bed pretty early comparatively which should make getting up on Monday less painful than usual. Have I mentioned that I am definitely not a morning person?

3 comments:

  1. Hi, it's a great blog.
    I could tell how much efforts you've taken on it.
    Keep doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ew, you had to watch them take away the honey pot? Ewwwwwwwwwww

    ReplyDelete
  3. The picture makes the place look like a witch's haunt. I like it!

    ReplyDelete