Since I opted out of having a job, I have been spending the majority of my time trying to keep myself busy. The temp agency I signed up with rarely sends work my way (have you heard that Modesto has the second highest unemployment rate in the country?) so I'm also working for Macy's during the holidays, but apparently only when they are ridiculously busy, so I find myself with a lot of spare time. This means that I can devote my time to becoming my mother's personal shopper, periodically making dinner and cleaning the house, and mostly just reading book after book. My favorite books lately have been Hunger Games and Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins. Don't read them yet - the last one of the trilogy has not come out and it might just drive you insane.
But I'm definitely not sorry about my decisions in the work department and find myself surprisingly calm about my future although prospects are not exactly looking good. The last couple of days I've felt an undeniable pull towards Utah and unless something changes drastically, my plan is to 'visit' the valley for a few weeks, trying to get as many interviews as possible and hopefully landing something permanent before moving there officially. Thus far I've only told a few members of the family who happened to be talking to me while I hammered out the details in my mind - I'm not telling members of the branch yet because I'm preparing for the possibility of trying to save face should my plans fail to go forward, as they are wont to do.
Also, my hair is ridiculously short once again. I realize this isn't interesting news without a picture, but there is a story. I went to the Beauty College on 15th Street with Hyrum because I was bored of my hair on Friday. My cut was done a half hour before Hyrum's, which should tell you of the quality of the cut. It was a multi-layered mullet of ugliness. After getting home, Hyrum offered to style it to see if that was the problem. Not so. So I went into the bathroom determined to at least cut off the mullet bottom, but I couldn't see well enough or angle my hands correctly to make it look good. That is where Hyrum stepped in. I taught him how to use the comb and his fingers while cutting, how to layer, and how to blend and he did a marvelous job. I'm sure he was annoyed at me at first from correcting his form, but by the end he was working like a master. He did such a good job that several of the ladies the next morning at the Ninth Ward Christmas Breakfast upon learning who had cut my hair asked for him to do theirs. If only society hadn't brain-washed us about gender roles, Hyrum could have found a new career.
LOVED those books too and I tell people to wait until the third one is out too. The anticipation is killer. And of course my memory won't serve me as well when it comes time to read the third one. Anyway, my door is open if you need a place to stay while in Utah...we have an extra room and bed. Even if you have a place to stay, I'd love to see you!
ReplyDelete