Today was such a great day. I made a list of everything I wanted to do today and actually started on it last night to ensure that I would succeed. I came close-ish. I went to the downtown library today for the first time. I have passed that building so very many times but I had never seen it until today. I recognized the buildings on either side of it, but I have never laid my eyes on the building itself. Odd. One thing that is a little weird and hard to get used to in Salt Lake is the fact that anywhere you go you have to park in a garage that starts charging after a half hour. Is there any way to validate parking in the library?
Then I went to Walmart because I'm a huge fan of one-stop shopping. I went in with a list and a determination to not stray from the list. I came out with a futon - not on the list. I have been wanting some sort of couch in my apartment since day one but I hadn't made it a priority since there is only one occupant to my apartment. And I would be considerate of guests, but I've had guests exactly twice in my three months living here. But when I was walking past the furniture and saw the sign saying $115 for a futon I couldn't resist. The price tag on a good sofa runs at least $500 I am told, and as anyone who has ever met me knows, I'm no big spender.
So I tugged it off of the shelf (only 85 pounds!), made sure that it was long enough to lounge on (I think it's 78"), and looked as helpless as possible until someone offered to help me out. Then I went home and spent three and a half hours putting it together. If I wasn't too slow to understand simple instructions it would've taken a lot less time. I hadn't realized how much my little apartment was missing! I still haven't hung my pictures, but I have started on the other little things that make this house a little more like home. Next stop: torchiere for the front room and a bookcase. I'm starting to feel like a grown up!
Aw dang. I totally wanted to go furniture shopping.....BUT I guess saving money is good, too. Is it comfy?
ReplyDeleteAww, I'm one of your two guest sets! That's exciting! Come with me to garage sales some Saturday, we'll find you cute cheap things to put up. I got a really pretty mirror from a garage sale, I may or may not have a spot for it. If I don't, it's yours for the taking. I'll keep you posted :)
ReplyDelete